First, wash new fabric to remove any fabric finish so that the ink can penetrate the fabric. Print out the butterfly template and copy it to the required size. Place the template between the cardboard and the placemat, making sure the design shows through .
Use the finer edding textile pen to draw the outlines. Then colour in the designs with the textile marker, or add more detail. Decorate the vase covers in exactly the same way. Use the finer edding 4600 textile pen in grey (colour ref. 012) to draw the trailing stems. Finally, make the design permanent by ironing it (without steam) to ensure it will withstand wash cycles of up to 60°C.
Now for the candle holder: take the edding 4000 with the slightly thicker nib and colour in the designs (in yellow) . Press the moss firmly into the vases until filled, then insert the candles and hyacinths .
Use the same method to design the tray. For the “Papillon” inscription, the edding 4000 in black works well . Embellish the butterfly decoration with the edding 4040 in silver. You can do the same with the vases.
Products and materials
- Place mats in light-coloured fabric (e.g. cotton or linen)
- Glass vases with light-coloured fabric covers in cotton or linen
- Cardboard to insert between the layers of material so the ink won’t bleed through
- Butterfly template (optional)
- An iron
- Tall, narrow terracotta pots
- Wooden tray, wooden butterfly decorations
- Paper, pencil
- Moss, yellow candles and hyacinths
Subscribe to our newsletter, and every two weeks we’ll send you inspirational and creative DIY ideas, along with details of our latest products and special offers.